I used to make ratatouille all the time, especially back when I didn’t eat much meat as it is a great vegetarian dish. The ingredients are also so common here that you can get them easily and all year round.
This was the first time I tried putting chicken into it and I will definitely do it again. I ate it just like it was and gave it to my hubby over rice – he liked it too =)
This dish can be made many different ways, in fancy rows baked in the oven or chopped into cubes and made into a stew, but this is the way I like to make it.
Sliced into rounds and cooked in a pot with some chicken mixed in to make it a complete meal. Or leave the chicken out and serve it as a side. I forgot to peel the eggplant, but I would definitely recommend it as the skin stays tough and hard to chew.
Here’s my recipe…
2 Tb oil
2 medium onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into rounds
6 medium zucchini, cut into rounds
4 tomatoes, diced
2 Tb tomato paste
1/2 tsp each basil, oregano, parsley, thyme (or fresh if you have it)
1 lb cooked chicken, diced or shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put peeled and cut eggplant into colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes then rinse and pat dry. This will remove some of the bitterness of the eggplant.
2. Heat oil in a medium sized pot and add onions. Saute until tender. Add garlic and cook another minute.
3. Add in squash and eggplant, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add in tomatoes and herbs, stir together. Cover and let cook for 10-15 minutes.. Stir in chicken, tomato paste and desired salt and pepper. Cook covered another 10 minutes until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
5. Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or on its own.