This recipe was created to make chicken taste like it has been roasting in the oven for hours, but it only takes around 45 minutes… and it tastes delicious! The trick with this chicken is applying pressure while it cooks – originally bricks (thus the name). We did it on the stovetop in a large skillet. I put all the pieces of chicken skin side down and then put large pots filled with water on top while it cooked. It is best if the weight is evenly distributed over the chicken, I had a hard time with this batch because it was so much chicken. After it cooks like that for 25 minutes, add diced potatoes under the chicken and brush with a sauce of garlic and lemon. Put pans in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
The potatoes cook 10 minutes longer while the chicken rests, serve with lemon, delicious! If you have a grill, or want to use actual bricks for cooking the chicken, check out this recipe it looks amazing.
adapted from The Quick Recipe
3 lbs chicken (butterflied or in pieces)
salt and peper
1t + 2T oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
2T juice from lemon and 1 lemon cut into wedges
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, diced
5 sprigs parsley, chopped
1. If using a whole chicken, butterfly it or cut into pieces.
2. Preheat your oven to 450′ and put a rack in the lowest position.
3. Heat 1t oil in large heavy nonstick skillet on medium heat, swirl to coat then add chicken skin-side down.
4. Place weight on chicken to apply pressure while it cooks. I used large pots filled with water, you could also use bricks covered in foil. Cook until evenly browned, about 25 minutes. Careful not to let it burn. Check it a couple times – especially if you see any smoke.
5. Meanwhile mix 2T oil, garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 t salt and 1/2 t black pepper and set aside.
6. Using tongs, transfer chicken, skin-side up to a plate. Add potatoes to pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place chicken, skin-side up on potatoes and brush with lemon juice mixture.
7. Transfer pan to oven and roast until thickest part of chicken registers at 160′, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to serving plate and let rest.
8. Stir potatoes in skillet and return to oven for 10 more minutes. Remove when soft and browned. Serve potatoes in a bowl topped with parsley beside the chicken with lemon wedges.
To see how its done, watch this video: